Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How Did I Get Start

So I have been asked many times how I got started and I thought I would just post this as a main post so that other people could see.

I had lap-band surgery in August 2007 and from that time until January I was BROKE and couldn't afford to go to a gym so I used things that I could cheaply aquire at Wal-Mart. I did the exercise ball, weights, and the Biggest Loser DVD. Then in January I joined the local gym and started by walking 1/2 hour a day. At the end of the first week I knew that walking was not going to cut it if I wanted to really start dropping the weight. So I added running to the mix. The treadmill that I use has a "track" that you can virtually watch yourself walk/run around so I would do everything in .25 mile increments.

Walk comfortably for .25 miles
Speed up for the next segment
Increase incline
Slow down
Speed up

And then I started jogging. The first time I couldn't do more than 0.1 miles. I was so dissappointed, but I kept trying. And soon I had finished .25 miles straight. Then by the end of the next week I was at 0.5 miles. I remember coming home and be so AMAZED because I had just completed my first straight mile. At this point I had NO intention of doing much more. My goal was to run 2 straight miles by my "bandiversary". (Kinda blew that one out of the water!) Finally I was running 1.75 miles at a time, but I got bored of running. I think I have cardio ADD. I don't like doing cardio for long periods of time. (Yes this is posing a challenge for the half-marathon!). Anyways I switched to the eliptical and weights and figured I would pretty much leave running behind. That was actually only about 1 month ago! Then the elipticals were full at the gym when I got there so I got back on the treadmill and decided to try and see if I could run 2 miles and I did. Then the next day it 2.5 miles. Finally I said...I am going to run a 5K or at least die trying. When I did it I got such a high. Then a co-worker told me about the Redmond 5K that I ran in and after that I was TOTALLY hooked. I knew that by running in races I had something to TRAIN for. I have never trained for anything in my life. By having the goal and not just "working out" I get a lot more out of my exercise session. I am a very goal oriented person.

Now I have done this without a trainer, but I don't know that I would recommend that, especially if you have BIG dreams of running a marathon. I am not going to use a trainer for the half-marathon, but I may consider getting one after I have recovered from the TT and start training for the full marathon.

Okay...gotta get to work!

1 comment:

The Juggling Francophile said...

Thank you SO much for sharing that. And, wow, you really did just kill that "bandiversary" goal! That's awesome!

When I get home I'm going to have to write your starting exercises on a notecard and bring it with me to the gym; I usually try some of the programs on the elliptical machine, but those programs kick my butt before I can get halfway through!

You're doing great, and I agree, you are the blog master! :)