Thursday, August 21, 2008

Effexor Sucks

Turns out my food problems ARE a reaction to the Effexor that I am on. Seems that it can cause people to become alcoholics or carboholics. Really I am not making this up. How cruel is it that a bariatric patient is given a medicine that has a side effect that makes them crave sugar.

These are no ordinary cravings though. I know how a recovering alcoholic must feel. Last night I ate sugar right out of the bag because the cravings were so bad that I had the shakes, the sweats, and did everything in my power not to throw up. 2 spoonfuls of sugar and BAM...they were gone.

After thinking back to the last time I was on this medication I realized these were the same symptoms I had before...I just didn't know it was the meds because I had such poor eating habits anyways! I just thought I was eating 5 candy bars a day because I was a fat slob. Turns out a lot of it is my medication.

So after speaking with the doc on the phone today I am going in tomorrow morning so that we can discuss where we go from here. Seriously...I would rather be throwing turkey sausages across the room than go through what I have been going through the last couple of weeks.

1 comment:

She Smiles said...

Glad you found the source.

Now I know why effexor didn't really work for me....alcohol AND sugar at once! Nno wonder I put on 50 pounds when I was on it!!! BAM!!!!